View Single Post
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I've been working on the software side of things for a while and haven't been looking at hardware development since the USB OTG/wired ethernet days... but for a new project I'm working on I came across the need for a USB multi-card reader for my N800. SD is great, but if you have lots of people eventually you'll run into somebody who's got another odd/goofy card. This is even worse if you've got an N810, where full size SD isn't a ready option.

So I went back to some hardware that I had kicking around from my OTG days, made a few modifications, and have come up with a pretty straightforward way to build a battery powered USB card reader/3 port hub combo device! A bit of soldering and some creative thinking, but I tested a prototype and it does work quite well. So here's my question... is there anyone around these days who's interested in such a device still, or is everyone now in the N900/noMoreUSBDevices mindset? I'd be offering the USB device in two parts on my website:
$20 - USB Card Reader/3 port Hub combo with external power supply... works with USB OTG on N8x0 devices, but needs somewhere to plug the power supply in.
$25 - "long life" "AA" to 5V battery adapter to connect to card reader/USB hub. Combine this with the above card reader and you've got a completely portable card reader/USB hub solution.
$10 - "economy" 9V to 5V battery adapter for card reader/USB hub. Same as the AA option, but since 9V batteries are generally lower capacity/less efficient, you're getting a shorter battery life (about 1/2 - 1/3 of the AA version).

Does anyone think that makes sense/is worth while for me to be offering, or is there no demand for this type of thing?...
Please post and let me know!

Thanks!