View Single Post
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
You thing the browser is what makes the N900 not a smartphone? Its nothing many Android and WebOS devices won't soon be replicating. Its really about the class of OS the N900 is running. It has the same app frameworks and components of a desktop Linux distro, meaning less limitations. Robustness is the applicable word here.
I'm aware that the OS is much less theoretically limited than any of the other smartphone offerings. Android is a bit of a joke by comparison. I think where it falls down is in the applications. Just because you CAN easily port a Debian app to the N900 doesn't mean you should. The OS might be finger-friendly, but these half-baked recompilations certainly aren't!

Don't get me wrong, I love the N900, and I think the bundled Nokia offerings are absolutely without equal. The conversations app is the best SMS/IM experience I've ever had on a phone, and even the phone app is excellent and very underrated if you ask me. No complaints there, I just wish the third-party apps came close to matching the quality and feature set of what's included in the box.

Now I'm shocked you missed the multiple Twitter options. From editing the Twitter webpage using a Greasemonkey script, web apps like Hahlo, native apps like Witter or Mauku, or the Conversations plugin, there are multiple options!
Believe me, I've tried every single Twitter option on this phone, and they're all awful. I wouldn't mind so much, but Nokia marketed this device as a hip 'n' happening new media powerhouse. The fact that there's no comprehensive native app support for Twitter or Facebook should only be seen as a huge disappointment.

Video chatting is possible using aMSN or if you recieve a Gtalk video conference, and it works very well. Was it not to your liking?
As I mentioned above, the N900's Conversations/IM app is fantastic. With that on the table, why would you want to use AMSN which looks awful? Maybe I'm being superficial, but the look-and-feel of apps is very important to me. I'd love to see Skype video call support, and old-school video calling. As it stands I'm not sure why they taunted us by including a front-facing camera. Is the G-talk video conferencing included in the native Conversations app?

You have to be more realistic, and know that the promise of nirvana with Maemo/MeeGo is tied to Symbian^4, which is still months away. Once S^4 and MeeGo are launched and the ecosystem broadened, apps will pour in.
I really hope you're right. I fear that when MeeGo is launched, any hope of getting some big-name apps released for the N900 will be lost, as developers concentrate on the newest and greatest release.

I knew there was a risk of this happening when I signed on with such a niche device, but I still can't help feeling rather mugged. However, as I'm in a two year contract, I really have no choice but to be patient

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLoz For This Useful Post: