View Single Post
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh* you may be right...
Another example of what I'm talking about (and my sincere apologies to Quim for picking his post).

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Making MeeGo work on the N900 is costing money already now. There is a team working on this as we speak, and as MeeGo first code release is taking shape.

The N900 was announced as official ARM hardware platform for MeeGo. This means that you can expect an open source operating system working on the N900 working on the N900 with a MeeGo API allowing you to install and run MeeGo applications.

The open source evolution path of the N900 is quite clear and looking good.

What Nokia hasn't announced yet is the commercial evolution path beyond the Maemo 5 official updates that it is granted that will keep coming. Yes, this is the same old question "Harmattan / MeeGo officially supported for the N900" and the same answer still prevails: http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re..._Harmattan_.3F
What I as an intelligent, engaged end-user read from this is:
1) Nokia is committing resources to MeeGo on the N900. I'd expect that some of those resources would/could/should come from within the Maemo5 group (they are the experts on the N900), which means less people working on Maemo5.
2) It reads like there will be a MeeGo OS that can be used on the N900, for "daily" use. However, it should be made clear that it will be a "developer" version, not likely suitable for daily use (for end-users). I suspect this will be the case for some months, quarters ? down the line.

As quoted, the same old answer stands, which is really no answer, ie Nobody, perhaps even Nokia, knows the answer. And that doesn't really do much to reduce FUD, in fact it may even increase it. In the end a good solid "maybe" will only increase the noise as people endlessly argue over their interpretations of it.

Just my $0.02

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: