View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
My replies are as follows:

Originally Posted by VDVsx

Community

What new initiatives do you want to develop inside the community ?

Being new to the Council I think I would first become familiar with what is already on the table and prioritize based on that.

One initiative that I am aware of is listed on the Council WiKi as:

At some point, the maemo-community mailing list will be integrated with the Community subforum at Talk. Until then, the Council will use the Community subforum and link to important items in maemo-community, identified by using the [Council] tag
I would start by seeing what I could do to help make that happen more fully.

Originally Posted by VDVsx

How do you see the relationship between the council and the payed staff at maemo.org ? In your opinion the current means and periodicity of reporting are enough or the maemo.org staff should use other means to report to the community ?

As I have stated in other posts, having been new to this process I have only recently joined the mailing list. The only information I have found about maemo.org staff is in the forums or the community WiKi's and other Web based maemo.org assets. Shooting from the hip (which I loathe to do) I would say that since the Council is the elected voice of the community, all communication should be through the Council. If the Council's frequency and distribution of those reports are found lacking by the community, then it is the Councils duty to respond and correct this. But again, not knowing what staff and what duties these staff have I am at somewhat of a disadvantage. Staff could conceivably be a communications director.

I am sure the who, what's, and where's are known by active mailing list participants and followers of any threads that have been posted on the forums in the past, but for a forum centric guy like myself, I wasn't able to find as much information as I would have like to before responding. That's why I am anxious to help with any existing initiatives like the one I referred to in my answer above.

Originally Posted by Texrat

1. What do you hope to gain personally from your time on the council?

I so want to answer Texrat with a humorous response usually found on the forums like... "Chicks. It's all about the chicks man"

However, since joining the mailing list I have come to know Randy as a serious guy at times and this is a serious question that deserves a serious answer.

Besides getting to know my fellow Council reps better, I hope to learn how an engaged user like myself can become more involved with the process.

2. What experience or aptitude of yours do you hope rubs off on other council members?

I have learned slowly over time how to weed through the noise and identify only the things that I actually have control over so that I can best spend my energies. Please don't get me wrong, I have fought many a good fight in my time. But when it is all said and done, if I had the time back that I waisted trying to change things that couldn't or shouldn't be changed, I would have gotten a lot more accomplished.

And the obligatory essay question:

3. Where do you see MeeGo 1 year from now? be as imaginative as you dare.

From the IRC logs that I have read, it looks to be coming along quite nicely. I imagine in a year from now most of us will be amazed at was has been produced. MeeGo I think will evolve through three or four phases and just as Maemo evolved, the progression is not necessarily linear; meaning one phase must end before the other begins. Rather, each of these phases is developing independently so that when this evolution occurs it is rapid and almost instantaneous. Like crystallization.

Once viability is established, the part that each evolutionary phase was responsible for will continue to grow and develop.

I'm thinkin' MeeGo will surprise most of us in where and what we will see it pop up on. The recent N900 push may be an indicator of that. I think we also got a glimpse of this a while ago with one of Kate Alhola's presentation that we discussed on talk pre Fremantle. I tried searching for it but kept coming back to a stylus vs. finger input debate.

In all of the above of course am referring to MeeGo the product and not MeeGo the community.

MeeGo the community I believe will evolve much like Maemo did as presented by a member of the first Maemo Community Council, Eduardo Lima (Etrunko) >> http://www.blip.tv/file/1918628
This also will happen much quicker because of the lessons learned here and will involve plenty of input from potential, then actual end users as well.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy

Aslan said to Caspian
If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not.
In what ways do you feel Council membership will stretch you beyond your current personal capabilities, and how do you intend to respond to that stretching?

I fear that if elected I will not be able to absorb the amount of new information that is presented to me. As Aslan alluded too in that speech, perhaps this fear is what will drive me to perform as I should.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-03-26 at 14:09. Reason: punctuation @#!, etc. (Speech for quote)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: