View Single Post
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aidofitz View Post
Ive got 3G connection, joikuspot and charging going all the same time and have noticed my n900 getting quite hot when running for a long period of time. Approximately, after 3 hours running as above, its nearly hot enough to be uncomfortable to pick up, id guess about 50 cel or so. The phone has also switched itself off once or twice when running it this configuration, and seems to take a few minutes before I can switch it back on. I can't swear to this being due to the heat, and im not planning on exhaustively (destructively?!) testing, but it seemed to be related!

As previous posts have mentioned, this is expected, however i guess that doesn't mean its a good thing! Am concerned this could do some damage, particularly if n900 doesn't have the same mechanisms to deal with this kind of heat as you would expect to find in a regular computer.

Does anyone have any experience of this behaviour or can comment on the likelihood of some damage being caused by overheating in general?

Cheers,

Adrian
From what I've read in the past, I think the most immediate 'danger' is posed against your battery. High temperature may cause them to lose charge (much) quicker and lower their capacity.

I've also read of (anecdotal) reports that 3G\WiFi transmitters\receivers being (permanently) affected; causing them to have less sensitivity and shorter ranges. But, I don't think that's as conclusive as the battery issues.

Other components have much higher temperature tolerance and general durability, I think.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!