View Single Post
Looking through lists of applications for mobiles (on various programmes) I am often slightly surprised to see a fair number of scripture type apps on offer, and they often seem to be quite popular too.

To me, the type of person that is likely to be into computers and geek stuff seems unlikely to be the religious type. Firstly, you expect geek types (and I don't use the term "geek" pejoratively) to be quite into science and rational thought and all that. Secondly (and maybe I am making too many assumptions here) you expect them to be relatively young (mainly under 40 say) and again, I tend to expect religious types to be older rather than younger (having grown up in a time where religion was much more strongly tied into everyday life than it is now).

So for these reasons I'm always a little surprised, but I have generally assumed it is to be explained by the large number of people in the United States. I'm aware that religiosity remains rather more prevalent there (especially among younger people) than it does in most of Western Europe.

But I do notice some apps in the Maemo repository - for both Christian and Islamic scriptures - that seem to be quite popular. Yet I thought that Nokia and Maemo were virtually unheard of in the States and so I assume most Maemo users are European.

So anyway, I have made this poll out of curiosity.