View Single Post
So I happened to run into this blog and I plan to share my concerns with you...

So we have:

The media formats:
  • H264 which will cost millions to license as of 2015 (with patent holders such as (microsoft, apple, samsung, sony, etc)
  • Ogg Theora which doesn't cut it as quality/mb yet
  • VP8 currently being negotiated with by Google

Streaming ways:
  • HTML4 + Flash
  • HTML5

Royalties:
  • Non patent holders will have to pay to be allowed to decode H264
  • Eg. Mozilla who is based on patent free technology certainly refuses to do that
  • Opera and other free but not open source browser companies might pay - but then what? will we return to the dark ages when opera used to e either purchasable or have a large banner?
Open source
  • Browsers might circumvent this limitation since the H264 codec is (for now) embedded in commercial OSes.
  • Then what will happen to Linux and Firefox that are both open?

And my curiosity:

If flash were to live on as the major way for video streaming via their plugin:
-would flash be the only one able to decide which codec to choose?
-would flash be the only one having to pay royalties for H264?
-will they think of charging us?

Flash has been given quite a beating lately
-is it because H264 would bring much more money if it was selling to many instead of just one?

If HTML5 chooses H264 or simply makes no choice at all, what will happen if H264 prevails?
-will we free coding be put down by corporations and media hungry users
-which may even lead to browsers becoming commercially available/infested with the adds the owners of that particular browser want you to see?

Should Google come up with the new coding standard with a better size/quality ratio?
-would they let it become an open standard?
-or (will they be evil) charge royalties as the H264 patent holders plan to do?

This is what I've been pondering for a while now and we certainly find ourselves at crossroads. The situation seems to escalate, HTML5 is years before it's completion, yet I have the feeling it's only pushed forward so hard to force H264 in a very stable position on the market.

For me the situation seems more or less clouded, that's why I hope to get some answer form the older members of this forum which know far better than the average user what exactly is going on.

Disclaimer:
this thread DOES NOT, in any way involve NOKIA - Nokia is in the position to pay for H264 royalties or even become a patent holder, so this does not concern any device particularly.
Do not hijack the thread in a fanboyish "no you won't get video on your device" direction!
This thread concerns THE FREE WEB and it's directed at the experienced users and moderators of this forum.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post: