View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Nokia didn't abandon anything. Developers are abandoning it!
Nokia didn't abandon anything? You mean they're still offering new OS upgrades and patches and support for the N800/N810/N810WE? Where can I get me a new kickstand? Yeah.. there's more to 'support' than saying you're supporting. You sort of have to, you know, SUPPORT it. The developers are abandoning it because it's extremely frustrating to deal with Nokia's "support". I certainly don't feel that I can recommend Nokia products to any business or even person anymore for the lack of reliable support in ANY form.

Just look at how you need to _prod_ developers to NOT remove support for the N8x0 from their apps. Certain person here removed N8x0 support entirely from a certain piece of code that I made "just because he could" (then fortunately added it back when requested). It's hard to convince developers to develop for a platform they don't have!
Might that not be because they prefer to release TESTED code? Besides that, why add code for abandoned devices when you can clean it up and aim for devices that are much better supported by their vendor and users? As I said--the Nokia tablets do appear to feel like the C64/Amiga/Atari's during their waning years--with the same enthusiastic but small religious base of users who cannot clearly see a failing platform (therefor letting it languish instead of letting the company see their faults to improve).

MeeGo is already on the N8x0 (if MeeGo ever gets a default OSS tablet UI, not twm, we'll see ;P ).
Where can I get me Meego to use? Can I finally tell my sister, my mom, family, friends and associates to go ahead and download because FINALLY they have a good use for their N8x0 again? Or are you trying to pass off a bare terminal screen is a whole OS already? Until it's ready--it's just yet another Nokia N8x0 promise that I'll believe when I see. Been burned too many times to have any faith in Nokia or even the community of development around it anymore.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: