View Single Post
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
We have no reason to doubt Qole, but I'll poke my inside sources at Adobe to try to get the real reason for cancelation. The last info I had is that they've ironed out most of the issues for platforms they've announced to support 10.1 (and Maemo 5 on N900 was one of them) and that they are having serious problems for getting around Androids' structural limitations (Dalvik mostly) so that the focus is on Android and once they bring it to an acceptable state 10.1 should be available for the rest as well.

If that's true, and I have no reason to doubt my sources any more than Qole, this is then a pure business decission, and a bad one at that. After all, if the Harmattan device is to support 10.1, and if it's true that it will sport pretty much the same base HW, the Flash Player would be essentially the same as for the N900. And I highly doubt that both, Nokia and Adobe, would like to see Harmattan/MeeGo not supporting the 10.1.

Either way, I'll try to get the info which side pulled the plug, Adobe or Nokia, as we should know who should get a 'jerk' label for disappointing their loyal users/supporters for some loose marketing gain. Of course, there is a distant possibility that there is a serious problem for utilizing the OMAP3430 and that it's not a business decission after all, in which case we should forget 10.1 support for the Harmattan device as well. But either way, that shouldn't stop Adobe releasing the non-HW-accelerated player - the advances on the NanoJIT between Flash 9 and Flash 10 alone are enough to give a reason to update.
Droid uses the 3430 and has already been shown by Adobe with 10.1. Droid is confimed to be getting Flash 10.1 with Android 2.2 in just a few months. 3430 would not be the issue. Especially since Adobe mentions the 3430 and 8250 as the current chipsets supported.

Too many Droid's out there to not have it. I think it is a market issue and Maemo is not part of their plans, unless Nokia wants to flip the bill for dev work on it. I figured something was up, since I have read zero information from the Adobe 10.1 mobile team about Nokia or Maemo. Only Android and WP7.

Given Nokia's less than great support of Maemo and the N900, I would not be waiting for 10.1. Perhaps we will see Flash Lite 4 (10.1 lite version), but that version actually has LESS function than Flash Lite 3.1. You also can not launch Flash content like you can with the N900 full version. testing on Incredible right now and a lot more video and game content works with full 9.4. Flash Lite 4 does not even play games (3.1 has no problem).

I know there are a lot of unrequitted Nokia lovers here, but it seems Nokia screwed the N900 up in regards to software and support. Wicked stepchild-like neglect.

Were it not for the dedicated community that resides here, N900 would be a device only tech-coders could love.

Ironic that my Droid and Incredible will have better Flash support than the N900, that Adobe started their main tests of 10.1 on in the first place. Especially Droid, since same chipset.

Bratag is a level headed bloke, so if he is being critical too, watch out! I agree. Given Nokia's track-record. Why buy another device from them? If N900 is not getting 10.1, I will not even bother updating to 1.2 OC. Media plays fine and MAME plays great. I stopped using the N900 as a phone months ago. On verizon now, anyways. Droid and Incredible in a duel ATM.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-05-05 at 16:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post: