View Single Post
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
that he regretted buying the Android after seeing my N900.

He's on T-Mobile as well so even moreso. Course I explained to him in detail all the shortcomings of the N900, with the phone, lack of MMS, lack of T9, portrait typing etc.. but in the same breath explained that there are already apps that are resolving these issues. I also told him my kernel was overclocked and my N900 modded relatively heavily. He was amazed at the speed and responsiveness.

He was showing me how his "multi-tasking" worked by dropping down the menu which was slow, and navigating around the phone which was also sluggish and sometimes unresponsive. I admitted the N900 cut its teeth the same way and if it wasn't for the community, the N900 would still be sluggish and unresponsive.

I also warned him that we don't have a single fart-app. After demo'ing it for a while I finally got to the "hammer it home" part of the conversation where I then proceeded to do the "Oh yeah, it's also got a front camera, gps, an FM transmitter, FM receiver and it can also use VGA cables so you can watch everything on your t.v."

Grass is greener syndrome runs rampant on these forums, but the reality is, the N900 is leaps and bounds above the competition out there. My wife owns an iPhone 3GS but I didn't really realize it until I saw an Android up close and the owner talking about it.

All I have to do now is find an HTC owner.
My guess is that he had a last gen Android phone... what model did he have? I have used both my n900 and a Nexus One quite a bit, and I enjoy both of them. They both have strong points, and they are both quite responsive.

Soon enough we'll be able to dual boot Maemo/Android (triple with Meego??). Then you can switch it up as you fancy day-to-day.

EDIT: also, how did you demo the front camera?