View Single Post
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by wheelybird View Post
This problem is exacerbated by schools teaching IT literacy, but only on Windows.
I totally agree. For many of the IT classes at my school, you must have a Microsoft Office Cerification (which must be obtained through a one year course) to be eligible. Otherwise, you must appeal through AOIT (Academy of Info Tech).

I'm quite disappointed at this; A friend and I got in trouble for "hacking the school computers." We were writing .spec files with notepad++ in fullscreen...

Advocating the knowledge of Linux is the main objective, in my opinion. "Noobifying" it would be the second priority. Example: A friend asks me to play so and so game. I state that I don't use Windows. They say "Oh, it works on Mac too." I say I don't have a Mac. They get confused, and ask further about what I'm talking about. I begin to explain by saying that it's a different operating system. They get more confused. I explain what an operating system is. They dismiss me as a geek and leave. Even a simple explaination like "Windows and Mac are two diff OSes, and that Linux is an alt. to Windows," will turn people away.

For the "what platform" comments, the first post dicusses PC end users. I am well aware of the Linux kernel's presence in other computing markets, especially mobile, embedded, and server uses.

P.S.: I apologize for any typos/grammatical mistakes in advance. I'm typing this out on my N900 while reading.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.