View Single Post
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
@abill_uk

Take some time and think about what actually happens during installation with a package manager. Then think some more about how one would go about to actually roll it all back to EXACTLY the same state as before the installation.

Not wanting to bog you down with too much thinking, I'll give you some hints:
- The file system keeps track of modification times. This isn't easy to roll back in a sane way. Do you want this too?
- If I install package Foo and then package Bar and realize I want to uninstall package Foo, how should that be handled if both packages have changed the same file?

The package manager relies on a database where every package has to truthfully enter which files it contains. Much of this is done automagically while building the package, but some packages are sneaky. Like the rootsh package, to name one.

If a package is sneaky, there is no way for the package manager to actually uninstall it properly. So, the idea is to test a package, see if it behaves as intended (including uninstall) and then propagate it to more users. If enough testing has been done, it will most likely NOT fsck up your device. If people want to cut the line and get in early, since curiosity is a great driver, it's up to them.

Blaming the community when people install beta software and get into trouble is just counter productive. And yes, you are blaming the community. You won't get new interesting applications on your device by STOPPING the testing that is needed since a stricter test cycle than the one in place already would kill so much enthusiasm.

Wanting to change things because people are stupid is ... stupid.