View Single Post
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by Dollyknot View Post
The problem is we don't have the time, the human race is being overwhelmed by a tide of decadence and pollution, we urgently need a sane direction. When we were exploring the planet we had a direction. We know where everything is now and it gets increasingly boring.

The kids need a dream that is realizable, space will never be achieved, unless a far cheaper method of reaching orbital velocity and beyond is reached and soon.
I think the notion of new coastlines from climate change are more intriguing for kids to follow than things like space.

No kidding. I actually heard this guy in the hallways of my school talking to his friend: "Did you hear that when all the ice in Antarctica and Greenland melts, we'll have different shaped coasts? How cool is that!"

I had to go to the bathroom after that...

I'm in High School by the way...

And @ the problems of the Space Elevator, remember, it's from Michio Kaku: Theoretical Physicist

(And a semi-serious comment: ) What about towers that extend into near space like in 3001: The Final Odyssey?

Massive initial and maintenance cost, a target for terrorism, widespread destruction of habitat (both wildlife and/or human). Not to mention the material costs (if we even have enough...)

But oh, so cool.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.