View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
In this context i'd like to see one of the following things:

* Maemo5 final running on 3rd party hardware (Beagleboard, Touch Book) as a basis of community based Maemo devices, or
* a usable version of Mer able to run todays Maemo apps
* In this context: Nokia releasing either the source code of the closed source core components or at least Nokia giving the permission to redistribute the closed source components as part of a 3rd party Maemo5 or Mer image/device/whatever
I think this is a bad idea. While opening all the discarded Maemo code could be cool, it would be a waste of resources and time.

MeeGo is ultra-portable as well and is designed for any sort of hardware

However, I do think we should look into what you say here:
Or somone will port all the hildon libs to MeeGo and current Maemo apps will be able to run on MeeGo, then Maemo might indeed just fade away with nobody really missing it ...
Hildon and Maemo GTK+ is fading into community maintenance and we knew this already. Can I motivate you to be starting a discussion on meego-dev on how we can be using libhildon in a MeeGo context?

I -think- it's possible, but Maemo GTK+ is a tough camel to shallow in order to get a full Hildon API. And since all apps have to be repackaged anyway, we can maybe do something smarter this time around.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: