View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I can't speak for Carsten on why he's changed his opinion (although I don't, in fact, believe he has)
I haven't changed my mind. With MeeGo, Nokia has done exactly what we wanted them to do, a fully open source mobile platform governed by good open source principles (differentiation, hardware blobs excluded). The primary strength should go into opening components that strenghten this platform, as we can all go home if MeeGo fails.

I am against insisting all of Maemo legacy should be open sourced. I am for open sourcing bits where there is a direct benefit to the effort spent - no matter the target (Diablo community SSU, MeeGo or even Gentoo on 770). What I'm trying to say is the exact same thing as exists already with the open sourcing queue - help prioritising licensing change requests with good reasons we need higher. We'd be stuck in a chaos where valuable and valid change requests would be delayed forever otherwise.

There is nothing more sad for me than seeing licensing changes being met with the sound of crickets. Open source goes both ways - it isn't just about taking. It is about contribution back too.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-22 at 13:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: