View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Aren't you confusing "being open" with "putting the open source software I wish out of the box"?

The discussion about Ogg always was about Nokia "having to" ship it in the sales packages, not about the devices being open enough or not to play Ogg files.

Anyway, the fact related to the topic of this thread is that the MeeGo project will have a process where anybody has the possibility to influence the roadmap and content of the official releases.

Then vendors might end up offering more open or more closed implementations in their end products. As a user you can decide with your wallet which vendors do the right thing with MeeGo according to your parameters.

I still think that Nokia will keep releasing some o the most open devices based on MeeGo. Then again, Nokia does not attempt to beat the world mark of openness. For the MeeGo Devices team at Nokia open platforms and devices are means contributing to the real goal: better products released more efficiently getting community feedback and involvement + platforms for experimentation so you can then have more options to see interesting experimentation and productize it.

PS: I'm not trying to impress you with this post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: