View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gerbick: if there was a double-thanks button, I'd push it. I've read some of your more controversial posts before, and it's nice to hear your comments on this. Trolls aside, I think there a lot of people who are just genuinely annoyed (and sometimes ignorant), and even that can kill a forum community if it's prevalent enough. Forum dynamics ensure that a board this size will always have some of that, of course, but we do need to take responsibility to not let it take over.
Some of the initiatives like the "Maemo Greeters" seem to have worked well in their own areas; I think we should brainstorm more possible things like that.
Does anyone familiar with the forum engine know if it's possible/practical to add some sort of "canned response" feature, for the questions that get asked excessively? It's easy to say "search the ****'n forum", but people who have never used a forum before may not easily find things, and t.m.o. is large enough that there are likely plenty of those people - more than enough to provide an excess of already-answered posts. On IRC, it's easy to do this with wiki-bots and such, but is there anything that could accomplish that for forums?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: