View Single Post
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
attila77, your list of bullets is way too long since it includes repetitions but, most important, it is not related to the naming since both MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan will offer you the same choices within the Qt family.
Take a look at how many ’also know as’-es are there in my list. That’s purely nomenclature, and I wasn’t even overly trying, just listing them off the top of my head. This is not just about the ’provisional naming of MeeGo-Harmattan’, but a general flux of platform related terms and their relations.

More than the names, developers will care about the relation between extra work, potential userbase and/or profits. Which is a calculation they are used to do.
What I’m saying (this applies to Venemo’s comment, too) is that there are many choices you need to decide on (not a bad thing in itself), but you need to do far more research than on any other platform to be able to say you’re making a proper engineering/business choice and not guesstimating. No, of course it’s not impossible or rocket science (even though the documentation is practically source-only, but I’ll not count that against the platform as it’s all still prerelease). It’s just that every single mainstream mobile development platform I ever came in contact with requires a lot less effort for a developer to reach the point where he understands exactly what the options are and to be able to utilize them. Qt certainly gives you options/latitude, but at the moment (as said, mainly due to the speed of development), sometimes gives the impression of being a bit short in the focus department.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: