View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- Having Extras enabled out of the box has put more pressure in the community QA process, that several times has been criticized as too heavy.
Well, now that we've seen the Ovi QA process, it's perhaps time to loosen up the maemo.org one ;-)

- Having Extras enabled out of the box has put more pressure in cases like emulators, FM Radio, Chromium...
I'm truly interested if there's a way we can find out whether having Extras enabled out-of-the-box had any bearing on the emulation and Chromium issue. The latter, I'm almost certainly, was found through some kind of regular Googling (or, given the suit, Binging) for "chromium download". That'd've led to maemo.org and a C&D.

The former (emulators) was perhaps something to do with the visibility of a *.nokia.com domain showing off a video of them.

All software has bugs, the FM Radio case didn't cause any longterm damage (wasn't it fixed with a reboot?). Would an Ovi Store developer trying to do something similar either a) have had the issue picked up during Ovi QA or b) had more access to Nokia engineers when designing the software? There were some Nokians helping yerga during the development on maemo-*, but it seemed a little ad hoc.

An interesting idea would be to look at the two classes of problems found there (major loss of functionality side-effect and C&D letters) are find other ways of mitigating them, rather than just turning Extras off. Perhaps:
  1. Any application which integrates with hardware (microphone, FM radio, Bluetooth, GPS) goes through a more rigourous process; perhaps including some official Nokia input? (Or they go into a different repo?)
  2. The maemo.org legal situation is, as you know, being discussed.

Are there other classes of problem which need to be looked at?

An option would be not to offer Extras enables out of the box but keep promoting great Extras apps in the official Nokia channels, like it has been the case in Maemo 5 with http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/ and others.
I'll do a survey of the two less-deeply-involved-in-the-community people who have N900s to see if they've even heard of Maemo Select; or even maemo.org/downloads/ - or whether they've just used the "Ovi Store" link and the Application Manager.

I really don't expect people in a more mainstream device to go Googling to find where to get extra software from, and - TBH - I think placing the bets that Ovi for MeeGo(ish) platforms will be a roaring success is, perhaps, a little optimistic. People are used to integrated experiences now, having Extras enabled out-of-the-box goes a long way towards that.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: