View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Well, yes you are.

I'm playing evil's advocate in this Sunday night (in fact Monday here now) as a community member reminding the extra hassle this Extras-enabled-by-default has caused to the community in the form of extra pressure from Nokia. If the posts here reflect the sentiment of the community then this is useful information.

Nokia sees Extras as a benefit more than a worry. This is why it's enabled by default in Maemo 5 (it wasn't before), this is why the MeeGo-Harmattan application manager and security framework know about its existence and this is why we have been pushing the Extras concept (community QA included) to the MeeGo project.

The "just a headache" goes more for the community than for Nokia. I haven't heard anybody at Nokia questioning the current setup, and I will ask about feelings and current situation for MeeGo-Harmattan.

If you think the collateral headaches of being enabled by default are worth considering the benefits then, as said, this is useful information.
We should also be careful for what we wish for...

I fear the pressure on this community to provide what is essentially Nokia's burden in customer support if community "Extras" are enabled by default.

The question here after the N900's release has been:

"Why do the passengers on the bus of complaints all seemed to disembark in our small town instead of continuing on to Espoo?"

"Extras", and more specifically the communication tools this community provides via this forum may be the reason.

I think that before answering this question, the question back to Nokia should be:

"Does Nokia intend to provide at least the same level of support for "OVI" apps as this community provides for its "Extras" repository?"

If the answer from Nokia is to provide the same level of support for "OVI" apps as it currently provides, then that would be the "insult" to this community.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-14 at 13:12. Reason: Appropriately named "Espoo Blues" image added