View Single Post
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
What is the best way to sync Google Mail and Google Calendar?
There are various threads, but I wanted to bring it all together into one that contains the best method(s).

Gmail

1. POP3
Seems to work ok, but due to the lack of IDLE will drain the battery.
Also new mails will only be found when the thing checks, i.e. once every 20 minutes or whatever it is set to.
Might have changed in PR 1.2?

2. IMAP
Not sure if this works on the N900? I've not tried it. Feedback appreciated.

3. Through Nokia Messaging
Been using this for a few months. I've had many issues, but on the whole it does seem to work for receiving only. My issues in short:
  • Unable to send emails (ever)
  • Unable to receive on demand using the 'Send & Receive' button
  • Issues when deleting read items that stay as unread in the 'All Mail' folder
  • Problems marking mails as read/unread

The other issue is that Nokia may change their mind at any moment and start charging for it!

4. Through MfE
Not tried this either. Presume it would be similar to IMAP with the same drawbacks (namely no 'push' and a battery drainer).

Google Calendar

Prior to PR1.2 I had one way syncing (Google to N900 only) set up as per these instructions from almighty Google. This has now ceased to work (error message: unable to log in, user account issue).

It's not a bad thing, as I want to change the way the syncing works so I can push events from the n900 out as well as suck them up.

There are some TMO instructions from Dec-09 here - although I think this should be well outdated now.

Google have some newer instructions here that are based on the Symbian syncing. Has anyone tried this? Does two way work?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.