View Single Post
Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by jaem
Hello,

[Note: I'm PM'ing you because it's time-sensitive on my end, and I didn't know if you'd see a thread update. Feel free to respond to and/or quote this message in-thread.]

Your method works, but the performance is unusable - screen refreshes are taking almost a second at times. My router isn't great (a WRT54GL) but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to handle this with only two computers on the network. I glanced through the X11VNC man page, but it was a lot of information to go through. Are there any other switches that could help performance? Alternately, is there a way to override the link speed detection? I suspect that the detection may be inaccurate, given its variance between sessions.

Thanks,
Jeff
Rambling reply of some good and some useless ideas:

There aren't any switches that I'm aware (besides the -ncache 10) or I would have used them (but there's so many I really only poked around).

First I determined what my issue was, ffmpeg on my laptop or vnc on my network and I found that it was mostly vnc.

By changing the n900's network connection to DISABLE power-saving mode for my home network and by plugging it into the wall. I got a usable response 30% faster by my eye. Are you over-clocking your kernel, that has risks but may help?

Be sure that you're running vnc unencrypted. (if it's on your local network I figured I'd be fine unencrypted, plus x11VNC only allows for one connection by default) If you're using ubuntu Remote Desktop in View only mode seems a lot faster.

Don't forget that you can always use one of the may non-linear video editors to cut out some of the delay. I did that for a lot of my video because the photo editing can take 15secs at times. It's a fairly easy process, just snip out sections of delay.

Also check top on your n900 to make sure nothing else like pulseaudio is running away your processor.

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post: