View Single Post
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I personally think the ultimate measure of success for a new idea\invention\technology\product (aka 'thing'), is how many people would want and use it in their life.

Whether a company is involved in the creation, distribution and capitalization of that 'thing', I attribute that to the company's smarts. AFAICT in the current market, especially with the information transparency the internet provides, you can't get by on marketing buzz alone to truly succeed. The market will shoot down stinkers anyway (IE: Foleo, AppleTV, DivX the disc format).

Now.. I think I know the point of view of pro-Linux\opensource people, because I'm one of them. Although I don't 'hate' the 'competitors', because I also need and benefits from their offerings (Macs for my personal life, IBM iSeries and Windows servers at work working w/ Linux boxens, etc)...

Linux users are like Burger Chefs at local gourmet diners. They fix their burgers with love and care, knowing they select the best ingredients and prepare it as best as they can.

Apple is like McDonald. Omnipotent, everywhere, they simplify (dumb-down?) their menu, and they probably have crap inside their food too (which passes FDA). But people still buy McD all the time because it's just good enough for most people's needs and most people have no interest nor intention to go into the kitchen to fix a burger. They have better things to do than that.

The chefs think their burgers are better than McD's, but McD is having all this commercial success. What can they do? Is their product truly superior compared to the giant's?

Last edited by ysss; 2007-09-21 at 05:43.