View Single Post
Originally Posted by gft2k1 View Post
If you are familiar with Fedora you made the right choice

N900 is a computer with a phone and not a phone with computer functionality...........

By the way, there is a project called NITDroid (an open source version of Android for N900).

I have installed it and runs very fine (at the moment don't have phone functionality, you don't make calls but just wait.........)

sorry i forgot........Welcome !
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've read repeatedly that the n900 is a very small computer that happens to allow you to make calls, instead of being a phone with "smart" capabilities added on. While I do primarily use my Milestone for making calls, I also enjoy having internet access.

I've read up on NITDroid and I'm very excited by the potential. I hope that the phone functionality starts working because that would make the n900 that much better. But, I also know I have to be patient. OSS is not the choice for speedy engineering, but I find it tends to be superior once it's working.

The "computer with a phone" part is why I'm buying it as a holdover device. Even if Maemo (or Meego, or NITDroid) doesn't win me over to the Nokia side of the Force, at least I'll have a spiffy multimedia device and be able to run Tinyfugue for MUD play.

Thank you to efekt for pointing out the actual newbie intro thread.