View Single Post
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Azz, Tarball, thanks!

Just a few additional tips, these are things I got hung up on or feel they may be useful for people trying this for the first time:

1.) After you've added the psfreedom.ko kernel module to load on startup, you do not have to run any of the original PSFreedom scripts; in fact, you can ignore the scripts completely.

2.) The startup sequence was kind of murky in all the instructions I saw. You need to completely shut down your PS3 (unplug the slim and plug it back in, or flick the power switch on the back of the fat). Plug in your powered up N810 (remember, the kernel module loaded at bootup so it's already running sans script). Then, with a disc in the drive, press power and then press eject quickly. The disc should pop out but you won't see anything on your TV just yet. In a few seconds, the PS3 boot screen will pop up. (Hang onto the disc for now.) Log in, and under the Games menu you should see two new objects. This means it worked. You can now put the disc back in if you feel like it.

3.) Install Packages might be empty. If it is, you've got to load the Backup Manager package (google it) onto a USB key or external HDD. When plugged in, Install Packages will detect the package off the USB storage device and allow installation.

4.) Before backing up your first game, remove the USB storage device otherwise the Backup Manager will automatically try to backup to it. It also goes VERY slowly over USB. My backup failed because the 1GB USB key filled up (which was my tip off to this behaviour).

I'm about 75% done my first test at backing up a game, if I hit any issues in trying it I'll add to the above list.

Cheers again!
Great post, hedgecore. Glad you got it to work. The steps were left vague because it should work similarly to the n900's but thanks for the tips.