View Single Post
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
[i]...

5. At least a 256MB partition is needed on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (partition 2, Internal SD/MMC card)

* See various Wiki entries for details. Step 4 from this page should be sufficient information for you to create a partition - formatting will occur automatically, later on.
[/list]
As a follow-up to my earlier-voiced appreciation for this excellent hack of Milhouse's (an appreciation which is noways diminished by the following):

I have just purchased a 4-gig SDHC card and have again re-cloned my OS onto it. (My last such cloning was on a 2-gig SDHC card.) But in this instance, I've discovered a possible pitfall for the unwary (such as myself). The instructions in the following site referenced in step 5 by Milhouse state as follows:

umount /media/mmc1
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0

This will prompt you to give a partition size for each partition; we'll make 2 partitions. The first will be FAT16 (type 6) - the partition we see when we connect the 770 to a computer with USB. The second will be our boot partition, where our home directory is stored. I have a 2 gig MMC and used the following layout. Note, the 15000 refers to cylinders, each of 32 KB, so 15000 cylinders is 480 MB. So the first partition goes from 1 to 15000 with a partition type 6, or VFAT. The second goes from 15001, to the end fo the disk, so it's about 1.5 gb. The third and fourth partitions are empty.

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 1,15000,6
/dev/mmcblk0p2: 15001,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

As Milhouse's instructions state, the intent (and result) is for the clone to be installed on /dev/mmcblk0p2, and by following the above instructions, the clone will find it certainly has plenty of space there! In my first try, about 3.5 gigs! (I'd wanted it to have only the intended .48 gigs.)

So, I had to reverse those recommended numbers by giving mmcblk0p1 "15001 ,," and mmcblk0p2 "1,15000,6". I found myself flying by the seat of my pants here (I'm no Linux expert) but to my surprise (and relief) it worked.

I may in fact be completely in error here -- but if so, I've at least ended up with a properly (for me) partitioned card.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2007-10-11 at 19:09.