View Single Post
I find these posts kind of sad.
Until Wireless G support stops being common, and all the current phone methods(GSM, EDGE etc.) aren't in use, the N900 won't be "dead". And even -then-, it will still have some use.

I mean, lets take a look at this device I have: an Iriver H320. Its aproximately 5 years old. By todays standards, the screen is tiny, and its processor is a joke.
Does it still do what it was designed to do? Yup. MP3s etc. play flawlessly. And if you stick the Rockbox alternate firmware on there, it can do -more- than it was designed to.

So to take the example back to the N900, yes, at some point it may not be the latest and greatest... but that doesn't mean its useless.
I mean, even if it loses its capability to be a good mobile device, plug it into a charger, hook it up to the network, and you have yourself a nice little silent server. Or use it for any number of things, thanks to its bluetooth, wifi and GSM interfaces.

Also, unlike my specific example, or heck, even an Apple ipod, the battery is replacable*! This means that it can be used for many years; so long as a compatible battery is made(or can be hacked together).

(* Yea, I know with the proper tools it is possible...)

So, to reiterate: I don't see the issue. The N900's a great toy, and will continue to be such for years. It may not be the latest and greatest, but... WHO CARES?

-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post: