Thread: Bad Reboot Loop
View Single Post
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Have you read the thousands of messages in the overclocking thread?
No, just the first few. Here's an excerpt:

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I don't know enough about the gritty details, but on the Summit, at the OMAP3 power presentation Igor Stoppa (and he's no n00b when it comes to Maemo HW ) very explicitly said - please don't overclock it - it WILL fry.
The thread quickly deteriorated to a mix of various "mine goes to 11" flavours and I don't even have an N900 anyway so I spared myself the pain. If there are any worthwhile posts buried in there feel free to point them out :-)

Overclocking is not in fact ill-advised.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking

If it is, you should immediately advise Nokia, because it is my understanding that the N900 has ALREADY been overclocked to a certain extent by Nokia.
Sigh... I can't be bothered to look up the "official" TI operational parameters of the OMAP 3430 (and they're not the whole story anyway as one of the biggest factors is the overall thermal management in the device) but at the end of the day whatever Nokia ships is what they have to support and cover by their warranty.

I really wish people would either stay within those parameters, or accept responsibility if they step outside them and damage their device. Trying to claim free warranty replacements is exactly the kind of behaviour that will give Nokia an excuse to try to prevent the rest of us from running any and all custom kernels in future devices.