View Single Post
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
[lardman:]

Thanks legendary one!!!

Its a honor to recieve such an impressive detailed answer from a god.

i will take a good look on those tools you linkedme too as well. Right now i dont know where to start off with DSP asm but when i get more used to coding x86 asm for the 8088 cpu, i hope i will be experienced enough to logically understand why the DSP will perform better arithmetics. Atm im still learning the basics of x86 asm, and get confused how to efficiently know when to implement bit-shifts (SHR/SHL) for multiplication/division, and when a MUL/DIV may be more appropriate ...In other words i still have a very long way to go. i just hope that i will soon reach a level where i start handling basic instructions and syntax by routine (automatically knowing where results of different instructions ends up without mental effort (ex. AL/AH or AX)). Ive looked at the instruction list for the Intel 8086 and many of the instruction descriptions dont even make sense at the level im currently at. it will require much patience and some studying of mathematics in english)

i imagine that one key to logically understand the DSP's effectiveness is to learn how to properly use those 64 registers of the DSP simultanously. but that will probably be the hardest part to learn as well (considering all the rules that applies when different registers is used simultaneously with different instructions that uses different amount of cycles)

Your post (from beginning to the end) have been really helpful and i feel more encouraged that learning asm for the C64x DSP is actually possible. when i reach a certain level, i will start out DSP asm by making some simple calculation apps for it - almost like a "hello world" app (without display capabilities). they should be small enough to fit in the DSP's cache (if the DSP have cache) so i hope i wont need to use shared memory during the execution of the app, until output is needed from the DSP.

Thank you very much again!

[To the other people who have replied:]

Thank you as well. It have been very interresting to read your answers. Particullarly the info about where the DSP is applicable.

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-09-17 at 00:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post: