View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I took this as an entirely valid question: If some company were to come out with a locked version of the N900, would it be possible to jailbreak it?
The answer is "yes". With the N900, it doesn't matter what sort of OS locks are on it, as it can be reflashed to the default OS in about 10 minutes.
It would be just about impossible to "lock" the N900 in any way, other than requiring some piece of software to run on some specific network, in which case you'd have a choice of "unlocked, but only if you don't want to use network x", or "locked if you are using network x"
That is, unless someone managed to reverse-engineer whatever bit of code had to be run to connect.
It is because there were...

In some markets, N900's did not have access to the FM Transmitter from within that countries firmware. This didn't last long though. >> http://maemo.org/packages/source/vie...mtx-faker/0.2/

If all goes as planned Pinky, MeeGo will rule the world.

...And as a result it will be on many devices that won't necessarily have the need to expose the user to all features. So yes, these MeeGo flavors will need to be "jailbroken" or modified if you want more.

Think, running MPlayer on a TomTom PNA...

MeeGo will also allow distributors to do with it pretty much as they wish so carriers or even different car models from the same manufacturer can have different feature sets. If you want the on board computer in your 328i to have the same features as your dads 760Li it may also have to be "modified"...

But don't worry, I'm sure there will be at least one fellow on the East Side of London who will do it for you rather quickly and for a fee commensurate to your application and his abilities.

SLN member # 009