View Single Post
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
So my question is: is it worth trying to load some maps onto the phone for using Mappero offline or is this just going to be a painful experience? Is there a decent search function?
I hope my reply doesn't arrive too late.

It is indeed possible to load the maps in Mappero beforehand: while internet connectivity is available, start Mappero and scroll the map to the area you want to download the maps of. Try to zoom in/out so that only the area you are actually interested in is on the screen. Then, tap on the title bar, choose "Maps" -> "Manage Maps...", go to the "Zoom" tab and click the zoom levels you are interested in. If the number of maps is on the order of tens of thousands or more, you'd better deselect some zoom levels, or the operation might never end.

I usually download low resolution maps for the bigger areas, and the detailed maps (zoom levels 5 or 6) only for those areas where I know I'll actually be walking around.

If you already know your routes, you can also download the maps along the route (on the first tab of this dialog, on the bottom, you have a "Along route" option).

About search: unfortunately Mappero works with the map image tiles only, it has no notion of street names and places, so this only works when online.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post: