View Single Post
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
The product of my work is IP, and I voluntarily give away the copyright. Even more, it is in my best interest if anyone has free access to my works. I still do not work for free.
You want music and software to be free. How will they get paid, by ads? Is that the direction you want to go?

I did not say I have a complete business model where IP is free to everyone -- I merely pointed out that the current situation, where you can simply replicate your works and expect a return from each copy, has not been very long in existence, and will likely not remain much longer in existence.
Fair enough. Until you come up with this new revolutionary model, why don't we stick with the current one. But feel free to give whatever you want away fro free and show us the way.

Earlier on this thread, others gave good examples of professions that stopped being profitable. I am sorry to repeat that, but those who solely rely on selling IP may be practicing such a profession.
There certainly is a shift. Newspapers are going away while cable news is going strong. Is that a good thing? It's certainly different.

A minor note -- I don't understand why you should use Star Treck as an example -- we have a good example here on Earth, it's called Communism, and we all know how that went. I am not suggesting we try that, I am suggesting though that the economy laws of capitalism will likely do away with IP, so that Capitalism can develop further.
Interesting, so a drug company spends millions if not billions on a new cancer drug and someone can just copy it for free and resell it at a cheaper price? In the future I can just copy the iPhone.Next and sell it under my name? Sounds convenient for the knock-off market but kinda punishes the innovators, no?

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-09-27 at 05:49.