View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You are both saying the same thing I think... and in the process, highlighting my original call to return the information to the forums.

Matan, if I may...

You are saying that the WiKi should be maintained by the people who use it. If that's about right.
Dave, you are saying the same thing.

Dave, you are saying to me I believe, the WiKi is there for all members to edit and not just a "select few". In the process you are highlighting my concern.

When we looked up in the exercise I took us through a couple of posts ago, we noticed we were not in Kansas anymore. For good or ill maemo.org's environment is not this forum's environment. Sooner or later a decision will be made to consolidate or work from within only one environment.

Now I don't know the numbers and can only report from my experience. In that experience I have been coming to this forum just about everyday since the N800 dropped. Although I and other forum members new and old are now maemo.org members, in most cases it was by proxy. I may visit the forum that often but I venture into maemo.org's cyber environment much, much less.
Perhaps many more maemo.org members use the forums than any other maemo.org service, perhaps the majority of the current membership joined maemo.org through the forum and not through the community door ... and that would be the heart of the matter.

Please consider that this forum's environment could just as easily support WiKi's, FAQ's, archives and many other services...
Also consider that this environment can more easily evolve into the two tiered, contributing member/ad supported venue that may be needed for maemo.org and any its information or services to survive. If in fact my premise about maemo.org enrollment is correct, wouldn't more members use and contribute to the maintenance of these services?

That is my concern, survival.

I realize that some feel this type of discussion is best conducted someplace else, but this is a forum isn't it? Where else should this be discussed?

I also realize that some may hope that we go on forever the way we were, but the way we were always had hope for improvement didn't it?
Do you think many of these hoped for improvements will still come?

And finally, having been a part of this and other forums for some time I realize this thread could easily devolve into side discussions that develop into full scale arguments that have very little to do with the original topic, information survival.

The usual response to matters of survival is fight or flight... anything else might be considered just plain ol' asshattery.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-09-28 at 00:27.