Thread: Intel Is Doomed
View Single Post
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Intel's current scheme for the smartphone market is to use the Moorestown platform. AFAIK power figures are not yet available, but 2 hours is quite pessimistic, as the old Menlow architecture could feasibly reach that on one ~2Ah cell. Extrapolating from the cheaper, more power-hungry netbook CPUs is misleading.

Still, I don't expect Intel to see much success in the smartphone market -- Atom-based products will be slower, thicker, or have short battery life, and the ability to run x86 binaries (most importantly, Windows) on a smartphone isn't widely desired AFAICT.

They're far from doomed, though -- even people who don't use any Windows apps without cross-platform substitutes will be reluctant to leave their familiar OS for a little extra performance in their netbook, and Intel has faced competitors offering better value (and full compatibility) in the desktop/laptop space for years with no customer exodus.
Well that website you gave me brought me to a website about Moorestown, New Jersey.