View Single Post
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Jonathan: http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4856/ipodqa7.png

Also, you have to remember that the 770 was the first device. Early adopters bit the bullet, take one for the team... to work out the kinks in a probably buggy device.

Also remember that Nokia said that they are at step 3 of a 5 step process: 770 was the alpha, 800 is the beta, 810 seems like another beta, 900 will be a RC, and the X will be GM.

And for the record, I hack my tablet up a lot (software, not hardware). I've stressed the poor little thing. And it has crashed on me very rarely. I think the 800 by itself is quite stable.

You have Freedom vs Stability. Think of all those Utopia like movies. Where society is nearly perfect, no crime, no diseases, no fear. But at the same time no passion, no privacy, no love.... Is it really worth the trade off? You have an amazing device, that is locked solid to prevent you from doing anything "bad" at the loss of your passions... your loves... and any attempt to circumvent the system.... you know what that means.

That's why I prefer Linux. We may not be all there yet (step 3/5) but I can do nearly whatever I want on my tablet, with relative ease. No one is going to stop me from loading Kismet or VNC functionality onto my tablet. No one is going to stop me from reading a .doc instead of a .odf or vice-verse. And no one is going to stop me from loading a buggy version of KDE 4.0 Alpha 1 onto my tablet if I want to. It's MY tablet, not yours. Choice.