Thread: PR 1.3. Leaked?
View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm with you except for this. NOLO is software that should be approached with extreme caution. An N900 recoverable only via JTAG is effectively bricked for most people.
Does this image change the loader? Has anyone confirmed if the alternate bootload stuff is in the W36 image?

One thing that does confuse me though: If you use the "hold u while booting" technique, doesn't that allow you to reflash the loader as well? I though the whole point of having the hardware shortcut was to force the load from ROM, which (while a set/old version) can always flash the entire device, loader included.

This was one of the nice bits built into the second gen of the Neo FreeRunner (vs the 1973). If you held a hardware key down at startup it would boot completely from ROM, allowing you to always recover from a bad software load, since there was no way to over-write the ROM code. The ROM version had speed issues (only negotiated USB 1), but it was a safe fallback if one needed it because they hosed the loader in NAND.