View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Alright, this is by no means done, and my personal set up would incoorporate the new versions' text-over-bar feature (which I'm still trying to figure out). I also need to figure out how to fetch keyboard slid-open/slid-closed state with the command line, and what the command is to enable rotation (the I can run it once with exec at the beginning of the conky file and you don't have to enable rotation manually).

However, I just wanted to show that it is working:
Name:  Screenshot-20101028-182307.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  22.9 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20101028-182703.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  21.9 KB

Yes, I know you all just came, but before you get too excited: it's not that great yet. As I said, Conky doesn't auto rotate, so you have to do that manually each time you launch it. Two, keyboard open/closed state detection isn't built in yet, so until I find out how to query that with a shell command (or someone tells me), you're going to get odd-looking layout changes when you hold it in a portrait/inverse-portrait position, but have the keyboard out (because the conky layout will change, but hildon won't rotate conky itself).

On the technical side of things, Conky has to do a dbus call, grep it, then awk it, then compare it to a string, every few seconds to make this work. So the more instant you want your conky to switch portrait and landscape modes, the more often your processor will have to run the command - this is not exactly good on battery (but not as bad, as, say, playing a video game like liquid war - if you only use conky occasionally and don't let it idle too much it the background, it should be about the same use-wise. (I found myself lowering the refresh interval down to 2, and will possibly put it to 1, just to make it change orientation without too big of a delay. But if you don't think about it too much and just accept that it takes a few seconds to change orientation in-Conky, you should be good.)

Another problem is the graphs - Conky basically has two seperate graphs of everything (even if it graphs the same thing) when run this way, one for each mode. They seem to be kept in memory and progress naturally on their own, but they do not share their data, and each logs the data that was occuring when it was displayed. So if I launch Conky (presumably in landscape), go launch app manager or whatever, then come back to Conky, landscape's CPU and load graphs will show a spike, but when you switch to portrait, the graph will be blank. It will start to show whatever values happen until you switch to landscape again (wherein you'll see the original spike from launching app manager, and black gaps after you switched to portrait..). This applies to graph functions - bar and everything else that doesn't record anything obviously works as normal.

If someone wants the config file, I'm attaching it. But keep in mind it's not exactly ideal. It doesn't have anything new or fancy beyond the landscape and portrait layouts includes simultaneously. Also, I'm pretty sure I have at least one inefficient battery level fetch in the landscape orientation (You'll notice that it shows battery charge in two places. This was for testing, and I'm getting rid of it on my own time after the 1.3 Power Kernel is out and I'm certain BME + Advanced Power Monitor + bq27x00_battery. I also have some overlapping text in the portrait mode currently - as you can see in the screenshot). However, you can use the skeleton for making your own configs with portrait and landscape support.

- Edit -
The conf file linked, the actual displayed "portrait" or "landscape" text for orientation is plaintext. For the sake of this version, I just made the portrait layout report portrait and landscape layout report landscape. The N900 can also report an "unknown" orientation state (when laying on a flat surface, for instance) - I have set it up so that portrait = portrait layout, otherwise, landscape layout. But of course, all of this can be edited too.

Also, can someone explain to me how to attach a file so that it has that "click for full size image" bar above it? Or do I have to host the image elsewhere, then link to it, for that to happen?
- End Edit -

Advice, if you see an if/else/endif tag in an odd place, there's a reason for it - if you are using either the $if_(blah) or the $else for a completely blank area, if the tag is on its own line, you'll end up with a blank line. If the tag is in a line with something else, the 'enters' end up inside the text to be exluded.

conky.txt

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-29 at 00:57. Reason: Moved txt attachment to bottom | Asked question and added a detail

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: