View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
I betcha 99% of people who wouldn't have thought of doing a backup would've ignored any warning/alert to do a backup. They like to click "Next", "Next", ..., "Finish".

sjgadsby's post mostly explains why Maemo's Backup works the way it does. It's more of a "dynamic" backup and has advantages/disadvantages compared to the ghost-like backup that nandroid does. Advantages include being able to upgrade/downgrade and still restore your installed apps and settings.

You should be able to do this when Backup Menu V2 is ready.
I betcha 99% of people who had a back-up tool pop-up (instead of just a reminder) as part of the procedure the way most BIOS flash tools do (or even the convenience of having it just one-click away, like ROM manager/nandroid/etc on Android) would click on NEXT.. NEXT all the way into a back-up before ending up flashing. Your point really SHOULD be that people will generally follow NEXT prompts--maybe that's the place to put a back-up tool. :P

The way Maemo back-up works isn't very good because it doesn't restore a last known good state. If something is flawed along the way (say repository goes offline, you end up not being able to get an Internet connection, corrupted repo data, etc.) you can't restore your device back to the last known good state. BACKUP/RESTORE IMPLEMENTATION FAIL.

At the VERY least it should be an optional back-up method available to users as part of a flash upgrade, for crying out loud. :P

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
wait, I thought I saw that when I was updating OTA...
I think you missed the part where it was done with the firmware flashing tool--where there wasn't any opportunity given nor even a reminder. I'm pointing out that, as a matter of routine, it should give you the opportunity to create a back-up copy of the current system state that you can flash back onto the system in case the new firmware flashing ruins things.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2010-10-29 at 09:06.