View Single Post
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Hi this is my first post on this forum.
I currently have a nokia e90 communicator and i like it, but i am thinking to upgrade to n900. Before i do that i would like to ask some tehnical questions:
1-Is it possible to have multiple operating systems to boot from? (i would like to have meego,android,ubuntu all three there to choose from)
2-is meego working usable on n900?
3-is usb host possibe?(i would go for it even if i have to modify the phone's hardware)
4-if i overclock the cpu, are there big chances to damage the phone?
5-what is the maximum frequency that the cpu can be overclocked to?

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, but i am a newbie

1. I'm not sure about Ubuntu and i don't think it'll work, it'll be laggy as ****. But yes, you can boot to Android while keeping Maemo as well, i.e allow dual booting. As for Meego, it's not even out yet and the current builds we have so far don't allow dual booting. The current builds we have are crap and unstable so no point going there anyway, not yet at least.

2. Again, the builds we have right now still have bugs, they're mainly for developers to test them out. Nokia has said that once the official Meego is released, they might allow N900 users to dual boot into that so we'll see.

4. As with overclocking/underclocking with ANY device, of course there's a risk to it. But on a phone, it's usually harmless and u can almost ignore that. I'm fairly sure about 80% of N900 owners on this forum have already overclocked. I have overclocked myself on 2 N900s and they worked fine for months, so u don't even have to worry about this.

5. How about doing some searching?? There're too many posts out there, ur lucky ppl didn't start to come in ur topic to flame or troll against u coz that's precisely what most ppl do on Maemo.org. I've had past experiences where i asked questions that are more technical to a more specific problem, and even that got trolls flaming on my topic.

Personally, I would go with a different device. N900 has a piss poor battery life, and i've tried out tons of mods and tweaks to increase its battery life, even sacrificing performance, but it's still crap. It's a good phone, but battery life is one of the majority issues that users have had with it. Also, it's been out for almost a year now, the development for this phone is poor, there aren't anything worth mentioning about it. Personally, i bought the device just coz it looks sexy and that it's one the few good looking devices with a hardware keyboard. But i'm soon changing to a HTC PRO 7 or HTC Desire Z, so i would suggest you look for those devices instead of the N900.

Windows Phone 7 or Android is at least more promising, and I doubt Meego will do well, one can only hope for it to. That's just my opinion anyway.