View Single Post
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
has android been officially announced to be "tablet compatible" in the first place? all I've heard is rumours that chrome = tablet, android = smaller devices plus couple random android tablets for sale.

compare that to

http://meego.com/
Actually I believe Google's CEO really stated at the Web 2.0 Summit that Chrome is for devices with a built-in keyboard like a netbook or laptop. While Android is for mobile devices with a keyboard, smartphones, or tablets.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
I'm trying to look at it like an engineer, not a paranoid ignorant xxx...

What the hell can Google do with the wifi data captured? Nothing. It is useless junk. No real context, and not a lot data anyway (600GB for all the streetview operations together makes very little data per AP).
Now if they were touring around in the same streets all the time, things would be different.

If my AP would work without protection, I'd fear my neighbors more than Google. They have permanent listening abilities....

and anyway, this was offtopic....
Google's recent analysis of what they captured actually found alot of things. Passwords, content of emails, etc..

But it's no big deal to Google considering they have access to that information already if you use GMail.

Originally Posted by Google Vice President of Engineering and Research Alan Eustace
"It's clear from those inspections that while most of the data is fragmentary, in some instances entire emails and URLs were captured, as well as passwords," Google Vice President of Engineering and Research Alan Eustace said in a post on Google's blog on Friday.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69L4KW20101022

Anyway, I think Google does live up to their "don't be evil" motto, but they just tend to do stupid things (like Buzz or the Street Cars fiasco) without thinking of the implications of their actions. But make no mistake. Both Facebook and Google are selling your information as a product, the difference is how they do it. And that difference is why I'm willing to use Google products over Facebook products.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-11-16 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: