View Single Post
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by bonerici View Post
... there is plenty of room, wget is small. ....the nokia under 2008HE is kind of erratic.
2008HE on internal flash is erratic because it has insufficient space. You don't want to add ANYTHING that you don't need. wget is a "luxury" item because there are always other ways to get your download.

.. it took me a few days of downloads to finally finish the 150 meg download..
That would be a reason to download to PC, if there is one available.

I dont know where you found something to read an MMC card.
By an eBay search for "card reader mmc". The kind I use seems to be available now for under $1, including shipping to almost anywhere in the world. Here is a trader with 100% positive feedback: http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-SDHC-SD-M...item4aa695a267

Your PC would have to be running some kind of Linux to make the download into the ext3 partition. If you only have Windows, you might have to dl to a USB drive and put your 770 into host mode to transfer the tarball to your MMC. The old threads and wikis about host mode on the 770 have disappeared, but I wrote a few posts about it in a thread of Bunanson's recently. The first one is http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58097&page=2 , written for non-Linux users . (If you have a Linux PC available, it is simpler and better to use the 0xFFFF flasher to activate host mode.)

still not sure mer 0.16 is the best, might go back to 2005
It depends on what you want to do. Many websites don't recognise the OS2005 browser as a "real" computer and won't let you transact business with it. Mer is a pain, but it does work.

Also I suggest commenting out "swap" on partition 2 of your mmc2 in the listed instructions, it makes the nokia freeze even more
I find the opposite, that a large swap space is the only way to keep 2008HE from freezing.

Sorry if the Mer suggestion has given you a lot of work. I did say that it was unlikely to be much fun.