View Single Post
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I have a lot of POIs in google maps and google earth and I thought it would be cool to get those imported into Maemo Mapper in the most automated way possible. It turns out the setup was a little more difficult than I originally thought but I have it mostly sorted out at this point so I figured I'd share it here and see if other people had thoughts on how to refine it. All this is from a Linux perspective but most of it should apply to Mac OS and a lot of it should be applicable to Windows.

0. Requirements:
gpsbabel - http://www.gpsbabel.org/ -or- find it in your Linux distribution's repository
GMapToGPX bookmarklet - http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/
1. go to google maps and add a location to your "My Places" tab
2. Click on the GMapToGPX and when it prompts you click the link to download the KML file
3. When you have the KML file on your computer run this command:
Code:
gpsbabel -c utf8 -i kml -f my-places.kml -o gpx -F maemo-mapper-poi.gpx
4. Copy the resulting .gpx file to your tablet
5. Open Maemo Mapper, click on the main menu, POI -> Import...
6. Find the gpx file and away you go!

Notes: Initially Maemo Mapper didn't want to import my .gpx file but it was created from a google maps "My Places" that had pictures, html, custom icons and polylines. I have no idea what part Maemo Mapper didn't like.

EDIT: I refined the script a little so it ... uhm, actually worked (for me at least).
Code:
#!/bin/sh

kml_file="$1"
tmpdir=/tmp
gpsbabel -c utf8 -i kml -f "$kml_file" -o gpx -F $tmpdir/maemo-mapper-poi.gpx
scp $tmpdir/maemo-mapper-poi.gpx user@May:/media/mmc2/Downloads
rm $tmpdir/maemo-mapper-poi.gpx "$kml_file"

read -p "Hit enter to close the terminal." placeholder
NOTE: I have openssh-server running on my tablet (May) and have ssh setup to use passwordless/public key-based authentication so that it won't prompt me for a password.

If anyone has questions or wants me to clear this up, just leave a comment.

-John

Last edited by Johnx; 2007-11-29 at 02:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post: