View Single Post
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
There's no such thing as a "good" user interface. There are user interfaces that you like because they fit your purpose or work the way your brain is wired... and others that don't. I find the iPhone in particular confusing, frustrating and clumsy to use. This may be because I'm too stupid to use it - or my usage pattern is too different from yours. It doesn't matter actually as long as there's UI concepts that are good for people like me, too. I don't see the benefit of having UI-clones everywhere that only one particular type of consumer can deal with.
I don't agree. There are "good" uis and "bad" uis (take a look here). User interface engineering is not only a matter of "look & feel", it's a bit more complicated. There are many rules you have to follow when you design an ui, you can't base your work only on your tastes. Those rules are based on how we (our brain) interact with the external world, so they apply to everyone, no matter if your use cases are different from mine. We are all different, but we are also all equal
There are many studies about ui design patterns, I also attended a course about multimodal interfaces during my studies...very interesting, indeed!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post: