View Single Post
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I have never fully understood why the BBM makes RIM so popular... I honestly don't understand why it has so special over other IMs or SMS. Text messaging is now almost always included in monthly plans, if not, one can added the option for a low price, and that is not considering Retention plans, so:
1) Turn your antennas on and your SMS is "always connected" as well, never needing to log in neither, and it is tied to your provider's servers, which is almost 99.9% reliable. (I've never sent an sms that was never received... even if the receiver has the phone turned off, as soon as it is turned back on, the sms will appear)
2) You can also track sms. On my N900, without any 3rd party apps, right out of the box, I can track when the server has received my message, and when the recipient has received it. Ok no, I cannot tell if the recipient has actually clicked on it and read it, but as soon as he has received it, it is up to him to read it. That's like having an app to tell you who has you blocked on MSN or wtv...
3) Really? What about fMMS? auto resize or choose your own specify size and of course preview it. Plus, it is mainly a minority of users that actually send pictures via messaging. Yes true, you could bring up cost on MMS, which is usually 50 cents, or add unlimited option for 5$.
4) Group chats, ok, that we do not have on N900 out of the box. I mean... yes, you could select multiple contacts and send the same sms to all of them. But of course, you still have the option of having IMs to do the job, and your service provider could come in handy. Here in canada, we have Fido (and probably also Rogers), that lets you create a group of contacts, of which you always send sms (and they call that service "Extreme Text Messaging"...go figure).

So in conclusion, the only benefit I see to BBM, are to the people who don't want an additional 5$ charge on their account... I tend to comparer SMS a lot to BBM, because if you have BBM, it means you have a cell, and if you have a cell, you also have SMS. As I still don't see anything that RIM is offering that would be so spectacular. And btw, I am not hating on you ysss, I just honestly trully don't understand what makes RIM so popular, lol. In my opinion, BBM users are just uneducated as to what more there is in the actual market.
Obviously I can't help someone for not wanting to understand

You should see the difference even by rereading your own replies; you're 'making do' with an inferior solution, which is ok for you but maybe not ok for others.

In summary:
- Technically, they include more features than SMS/MMS or competing IMs. (Features/cost = cheaper).
- Some of those features are very group-friendly/social. (Friends will get friends into BBM).
- It's proprietary, with tight lock-in mechanism. (Their way or the highway).
- They're used by huge enterprises. (Jobs requirement, company subsidies, etc).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: