View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
No. Dickish, but might not be really illegal is a description of lxp and whoever did download from him and did not upload the source to a publicly available place (or at leaset send the source to power kernel maintainer, so he can include it).
I sorta see your point, but didn't he say just a page or two ago that he's pushed his patches upstream, and that he did say that he's trying to get Titan to include the cfg80211 to the slightly-altered included power kernel.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=41
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=50

I agree, it's not ideal. I also think lxp has made it pretty obvious he doesn't like the idea of forcing donations in the long run. But he also made this thing for a project he was promised a large sum of money for, and he could have easily just tossed away the code after NeoPwn didn't pay him, and not bothered to release it. Yet he did, after spending extra time fixing up even more issues.

My opinion on it, is that asking for a forced donation is an acceptable (tough not ideal) move in a perfect world where everyone has enough money, and means to conveniently deliver it to the person being 'donated' to. This isn't a perfect world through, and just as someone understanding of psychology and sociology, I know that sometime soon, someone will post this stuff up publicly. People did it for NeoPwn2 and they'll do it here. However, where-as with NeoPwn2 it was sorta more understandable, because NeoPwn2 didn't give the source code out, or anything else. The NeoPwn2 project was one you HAD to use as was, and rely on the dev for future improvements. Lxp, however, is offering the source with the donation, and unlike NeoPwn2's 40$, this is anything you can / choose to pay, for both the precompiled binaries and the sources. He is also pushing the source upstream, which, if I understand the way these open source code/garage/repository/submitting-contributions thingies works, means you can find where-ever wl1251 development happens, and SEE the source code lxp submitted.

My personal opinion is that while it may not be exactly the best thing to do to force donations, it's also not in the completely positive to just post this up elsewhere, because unlike NeoPwn2, this is a lot closer to typical open-source (and still fits within the constraints of legal GPL stuff.)

But from the standpoint of someone well versed in psychology, sociology, and history, my suggestion to lxp is to just switch to the non-forced-donation approach. Or the result will be similar to the NeoPwn one in the long-run. Someone else will eventually post this online - it might not be any better than forcing donations in the first place; in fact they're about the same in my eyes - and if someone else does it before you, lxp, do, then the majority of the users will be anal about it and skip donating entirely. The end result is similar - those of us who wish to donate will - you'll get a couple like me who care about injection enough that the priority of donating vs. saving money jumps up enough to do it now (where-as I wait for some of my other eventually-intended donations) - but for the most part, you'll have the same amount of people donating, as not. The only difference is, at the end of the day, you're either the person who accepted that the result is going to be unfair for you either way, and went with the more ethical choice for everyone else in spite of that, or you tried to get the fair result for yourself, only to have the not ethically ideal masses of the not ethically ideal world react against you.

I think in the short run, it's a hard decision to make because in the upcoming couple of weeks, you're likely to get more donations than you would have gotten from just releasing it. In the long run however, the likelyhood is, total donations, and total goodwill from the mob I suspect may arise on this thread, much like it did on the NeoPwn2 one, will be a lot less.

I'm not saying it's right that circumstances should cut you out of the money you were promised when making this project originally, and as far as I'm concerned, everyone should donate regardless (out of their own altruism - which they should have - not because it's right for them to pay for the failure of others to pay). You know where I stand - I donated, not sure if it was more or less than the average amount people give; I'm not privy to what the norm for such projects is - but it was enough that I had to use some willpower to part with it.

*Shrug* IDK, just my slightly-more-than-two cents on the subject. Things might work out better here, because you, lxp, have a better reputation on this forum, and are keeping a much more open project running, than the NeoPwn2 project was. I hope so. In a world where money is a necessity for survival, you certainly deserve some for the time put in to developing this (so did NeoPwn2's dev, unfortunately, but things worked out even more poorly there).

I think, sadly, the harder-to-accept-for-oneself-as-a-money-needing-student choice is the better one, both for you in the long run, and for all those right now who can't donate even though they would like to due to lack of compatibility with paypal, or a lack of expendable funds, etc. I would like to think, but unfortunately know it probably won't happen, that you would recoup all of the costs promised by NeoPwn2 for this work.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: