View Single Post
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And all I've seen so far... Qt got updated or something is coming. MeeGo 1.2 is coming in April - 1.1 was not really all that impressive. And no vendor announcements - I don't mean the impressive OEM announcements - and I'm... not really excited about MeeGo.

Sure... it's open. It's coming. But it's gonna take a long friggin' time for it to attract attention from more than just the diehard Nokia or Linux fan. And with Nokia's inability to commit to one iteration of Maemo past 13 months of official support (less with Maemo 5) then honestly my patience and enthusiasm have hit new lows for MeeGo.

And I'm darn willing to bet I'm not the only person thinking like that. And I'm quite sure some folks will continue to carry the torch for MeeGo; but it's gonna take a demo of damn near biblical proportions for me to gather any excitement.
I for one agree with you, I'm happy and even mildly excited to see that there is still a Linux distro for handsets and internet tablets and that it will eventually, probably, become the standard platform. I like this, it's cool, but it's not something that affects me in any real way right now.

The fact Meego is still not day-to-day usable on the only platform I have, the N900 (well it wasn't when I last looked before Christmas, it may be now, I'll have to test again) means that I have no real involvement in (and therefore excitement about) what's happening.

Yes I know I could get involved doing platform development and bugfixing stuff, but looking at the #meego-arm meetings, it seems to me that there are lots of people who are paid to do platform development there, so my sticking my oar in and distracting them asking what I could do with a paltry hobbyist 1h/day seems pointless.

Meego application development is another option, and I do this anyway for Maemo (and it should apparently be reasonably easy to port over with the new SDK, etc.) Working on the Meego reference apps seems rather pointless as the next Nokia handset will use its own UI so we are led to believe (and replace those reference apps), so unless we have some hardware on which we wish to just run the reference implementation of Meego, this would be wasted time.

Now yes, the N900 is such a platform, but it is getting rather long in the tooth, there is some pretty impressive hardware out there these days - bigger screens, faster processors, twin core processors, more RAM, etc., and it would be nice to have some of this new stuff to play with (running Linux of course).

So I'm personally just waiting for some new hardware that looks suitable (big screen, hw kb, camera, compass, gps, etc.) and will run Meego, then I'll get more enthused actually using it and being able to develop for it (and feeling that the work I do will have some sort of lifetime on the device in question.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: