View Single Post
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The important thing to realise is that the Community SSU is only just getting started: lots of exciting contributions can come when the kinks are worked out (done); the process is drafted (no-one concerned about being involved has yet answered a single one of the questions I posted above, I note) and the brave have verified that installing the SSU doesn't fundamentally break ones device (probably done).
Challenge accepted. Assuming it's possible to contribute $0.02US here...

Who ultimately owns the CSSU?
  • Council?
Council sounds good to me, personally.

How will included improvements be decided? (Matan)
  • Will there be an inclusive policy - every improvement that someone is willing to work on will be included - or will there be a gatekeeper that will decide what to include? (Matan)
  • Is the scope limited to improving packages which are included by Nokia in the OS; or should it grow to include "useful" stuff?
  • Should wholesale replacement of apps (such as Media Player) be done with open source, feature- & UI-compatible versions; if available?
I'd stick to improving existing OS packages, and let "useful" stuff stay in Extras. If the community wants to get involved in endorsing other nice things (like, oh, I dunno, fMMS or similar), that sounds like a separate project to me. Ditto for FOSS replacements of closed Maemo apps.

Or, IOW, I wouldn't mind having the ability to, say, uninstall Modest (since I never use it), but I don't want that sort of silly side preference to hold up getting other bugfixes going quickly.

How will testing be organised?
  • Positive
  • Negative
  • Regression
  • Installation from scratch
  • Upgrade from previous version
Managing software testing is not something I'm good at; that's more my mother's province. Maybe it might be useful to identify volunteers who are willing to handle possible test cases?

How will it be advertised?
Have Council members rent out billboards in their hometowns. Duh!

I'm assuming advertising means to end-users, not necessarily developers. For those, mwkn and this forum ought to be enough. For developers... well, I don't really count as one, so I don't know what they're paying attention to.

How will it be supported?
  • Bugzilla
  • IRC?
  • Forum
I would assume a mix of Bugzilla and the forums (as is seemingly standard for most of the software here) would be ideal - Bugzilla for folks who can write decent bug reports, and forums for the me-too crowd.

Last edited by Viqsi; 2011-01-13 at 18:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post: