Thread: N900 in Japan?
View Single Post
Originally Posted by shin View Post
wmarone

Thank you for the shell wrapper. I would appreciate if you could confirm the set up on your n900 and also pointers on how an icon to this effect can be created. I am thinking of updating the path ( wrapper shell script) to EBview icon on the Catorize menu.
I just created a PNG with the character 広 (mostly because I have Kojien on here,) centered in it, and created the necessary .desktop file for it. Took a while for the icon to actually appear, and I did it months ago so I'm kinda rusty.

On the EBView input field, I have tried all possible menu disabling combinations. Your screen shot and setup would definitely help. I am wondering how the EBView menus are appearing in japanese for him.
I trimmed all of those arrow buttons, and let the search box expand to fill the rest of the space. That did require editing the program's source code and recompiling. I, unfortunately, am not familiar with packaging things properly so my "install" is basically a tarball I unpacked on my device. Kimitake probably did a lot more work on EBView, he even posted his Qt port I saw at the MeeGo Day event back in September:

http://kimitakeblog.net/item/756

Which, as I remember, was much better suited to the N900's screen size. Had I known it was posted, I would probably have moved on to it earlier

The menus there are probably due to setting the LANG environment variable, likely LANG=ja_JP.UTF8 or similar, you could set those in the script as well.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-01-14 at 21:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: