View Single Post
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Here's something that I can't answer straightforward and it would be nice to have some comments from Nokia on this.

Let's assume that MeeGo is released and that it's awesome. Now, suppose that other vendors start using it for their phones and it becomes an Android-like OS where multiple vendors are using it. Assuming the current way MeeGo is designed, is that possible?

Let me explain that:

Android apps are written in Java while MeeGo apps in C and other languages like python, but mostly they are written in C and that's what Nokia is pushing indirectly. Even if it is Qt, it's still C. Also Nokia changed the debian packaging to RPM packaging.

Is Nokia ready to handle multiple architectures for MeeGo? Android apps are written once and they run everywhere. MeeGo apps will most probably need to be recompiled (at least) once for each architecture, just like Debian packages.

I personally find this to be a very very hard obstacle for MeeGo adoption and app development. Consider that each app creator will have to provide packages for multiple architecture, something that only Debian does well. A commercial app that is distributed outside of the official repositories will have to be provided for multiple platforms, meaning that the app creator will have to compile it for multiple platforms. Considering the number of different current and future platforms out there, this is a VERY VERY hard problem to solve (if it is solvable at all). For example, an app vendor starting to develop in 2014, will still have to support hardware that was provided in 2011.

From what I can see, this can only be solved if Nokia starts using a language that does not need recompilation everywhere, like Python and Java.

Do you have any hints/thoughts on that?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post: