View Single Post
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yet most major Linux distributions do so handily. Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu all offer ARM builds alongside x86. MeeGo does as well. Hell they all do it when you get the differentiation between x86_64 and x86.
You didn't get the point: It's not a matter of ARM support. It's a matter of architecture diversity and whether it will attract other phone vendors.

If the architectures are incompatible, sure. But, MeeGo compliance specifies architectures and the tools on hand provide the ability to build packages targeted to each architecture automatically.
I don't believe you understand what you're saying here. I'm not asking if it is possible to rebuild everything. I'm asking if it will ever work and if it will be adopted, or whether Nokia has thought about this. Please read previous posts.

Suggesting that only a VM-based language like Java is capable of clean cross-architecture operation is more than a little ridiculous.
As it is replying without first reading the posts. Unless you consider Python as a VM-based language, that's not what I said.

FWIW, the only available methods for doing this, as far as I know, are:
  • Java / VM based
  • Interpreted languages (Python)
  • LLVM

but you're free to correct me. Also, please don't be offensive. I could also offend you very easily for not replying correctly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post: